Translate This Page.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

JESUS (PBUH) DID NOT CLAIM DIVINITY IN JOHN 14:6

Question
Jesus (pbuh) indicated that he was God when he said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me".

Answer
       
1.
     Gospel of John Chapter 14 verses 1 – 6
            
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
In order to understand the verse better we should read the context i.e. Gospel of John chapter 14 verse 1 to 6
"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.’
Thomas saith unto him, ‘Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?’
Jesus saith unto him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.’"
[John 14:1-6]
       
2.
     EVERY PROPHET IN HIS TIME IS THE WAY TO GOD
            
Jesus (pbuh) being a prophet of God rightly said that he was the way to God. Every Prophet of God, is the truth and the way to God. Moses (pbuh) during his time and for his nation was the way, the truth and life and no man could come to God but through Moses (pbuh). Every prophet of God in his time is the ultimate path and guidance to God.
Today the last and final messenger of God is prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who is the way, the truth and the life; no man comes unto God but through his teachings.
       
3. 
    JESUS (PBUH) SAID HE THAT HAS SEEN ME HAS SEEN THE FATHER
            
Some Christians consider that Jesus (pbuh) by stating that "he that hath seen me hath seen the Father" in the verses to follow is a proof that Jesus (pbuh) claimed divinity. If you further read it is mentioned in Gospel of John, 14 verse 7 to 10:
"‘If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.’
Philip saith unto him, ‘Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.’
Jesus saith unto him, ‘Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."
[John 14:7-10]
       
4.
     KNOWING GOD IS SEEING GOD
            
Jesus (pbuh) says in the verse no 7
"If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."
[John 14:7]
Seeing according to Jesus (pbuh) means knowing. Thus he who knows Jesus (pbuh), also knows God. The miracles and works of the prophet (pbuh) bear testimony to the existence of God.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How then can a man be just with God? Or how can he be clean who is born of woman? –(JOB 25:4)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a really very poor understanding of the Christian scriptures.

    Seeing and Knowing are the two different things. Jesus said :-

    " Jesus saith unto him, ‘Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? "

    He was saying that He is equal to the Father in the terms of essence when He said that One who sees Him has seen the Father and when He speaks " Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not KNOWN me, Philip? ", He only meant that He showed them the signs (not miracles only as the prophets can too perform miracles but the the manner He used to perform them and also by His speeches ) of He being equal to the Father in essence yet Philip hasn't known Him and is asking Him to show us the Father ?

    So thats the thing there and not that seeing means knowing which is totally hilarious.

    If you may read the book of Job, you will be seeing that the friends of Job were in debate with Job and they said many wrong things for which God's anger was kindled against them but Job prayed for them and they were pardoned by God :-

    " And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job. So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job. " Job (42:7-9)

    And the Job (25:4) is also spoken by the other two friends of Job apart from Eliphaz. See :-

    " Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said, Dominion and fear are with him, he maketh peace in his high places. Is there any number of his armies? and upon whom doth not his light arise? How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman? Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight. How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm? " Job 25

    Quote the things in contexts and not just randomly picking few verses and quote.

    ReplyDelete